... Wind Advisory remains in effect from 3 PM this afternoon to
5 am PDT Friday...
* timing: winds increase this afternoon. Valleys will see a 3-6
hour period of strongest winds this evening, while foothill
areas will be strong and gusty this afternoon through early
* Winds: southwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 55 mph. Gusts up
to 70 mph are possible in wind prone locations such as Washoe
Valley and foothills around Reno, Carson City and Minden.
* Impacts: strong, possibly damaging winds are possible. Travel
restrictions for high profile vehicles are likely. Follow
instructions on Highway signs and do not attempt to travel on
restricted highways. Winds could be strong enough to push your
vehicle out of your travel Lane. Check with ndot or caltrans for
the latest Road information.
Secure loose outdoor items such as patio furniture, Holiday
decorations and trash cans before winds increase which could blow
these items away. The best thing to do is prepare ahead of time by
making sure you have extra food and water on hand, flashlights
with spare batteries and/or candles in the event of a power
Severe Weather Get Mobile & Email Alerts
Greater Reno-Carson City-Minden Area Severe Watches & Warnings NOAA Weather Radio
Watches & Warnings
Issued: 9:17 AM PDT Oct. 19, 2017 – National Weather Service
Fire Weather Warning
Issued: 6:05 AM PDT Oct. 19, 2017 – National Weather Service
... Red flag warning in effect until 6 PM PDT this evening for
gusty winds and low humidity for the Tahoe basin east into western
Pershing and Churchill counties including the Sierra front...
The National Weather Service in Reno has issued a red flag
warning for gusty winds and low humidity, which is in effect
until 6 PM PDT this evening.
* Affected area... fire zone 272 greater Lake Tahoe area, fire
zone 450 western Nevada Sierra front and fire zone 453 west
central Nevada basin and range.
* Winds... southwest winds increasing to 15 to 25 mph with gusts to
40 mph by late morning. Local gusts of 45 to 50 mph this
afternoon in wind prone areas.
* Humidity... 10 to 20% this morning. Rising above 30% around
* Duration... 3 to 6 hours, locally up to 9 hours in wind prone
* Impacts... the combination of gusty winds and low humidity can
cause fire to rapidly grow in size and intensity.
Avoid outdoor activities that can cause a spark near dry
vegetation, such as yard work, target shooting, or campfires.
Follow local fire restrictions. Check weather.Gov/Reno for
updates and livingwithfire.Info for preparedness tips.